Wk 2 – Assessing Reliability and Credibility of CAM Resources Presentation [due Mon]
- As you do your research about CAM, it is vital to establish what information is credible and reliable. By the time you complete this assignment you should have made some decisions about the credibility and reliability of information related to CAM.
Create an 8- to 10-slide presentation (Microsoft® PowerPoint®, Prezi, etc.) that provides guidance for assessing credibility and reliability of an online source about CAM information. Ensure you:
- Describe how a consumer’s attitudes and beliefs about CAM could affect the assessment of reliability and credibility of source information about CAM.
- Create five objective criteria to evaluate the credibility and reliability of a source of information on CAM. Discuss how you arrived at each criterion and how it can help assess reliability of source information.
- Select a CAM therapy or modality different from the one you selected in Week 1, and do research for information about this therapy or modality.
- Using the five objective criteria you created above, provide a review on one of the websites you found in your search and evaluate the reliability and credibility of the information it presents on CAM. Ensure you:
- Explain how the website met or did not meet each of the criterion you created.
- Describe steps the website could take to increase its credibility, if necessary.
- Include detailed speaker notes and reference citations formatted according to APA guidelines.
How to solve
University of Phoenix University Reliability & Credibility Presentation Nursing Assignment Help
As a medical professor in charge of creating college assignments and evaluating student performance, it is essential to provide students with assignments that enhance their critical thinking skills and ability to assess the credibility and reliability of information. In this assignment, students will be required to create a presentation that presents guidance for assessing the credibility and reliability of online sources about Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) information.
To assess the credibility and reliability of CAM information, consumers’ attitudes and beliefs about CAM play a significant role. These attitudes and beliefs can influence their judgment and acceptance of certain information sources. For example, someone with a positive attitude towards CAM may be more inclined to consider information from sources that align with their beliefs, while someone skeptical about CAM may scrutinize the source more rigorously.
To evaluate the credibility and reliability of a source of information on CAM, students should create five objective criteria. These criteria should be based on factors that are generally considered indicators of trustworthiness and reliability in information sources. For example, criteria may include:
1. Author’s Qualifications: Assess the expertise and credentials of the author or organization responsible for the information. Look for qualifications and experience in the relevant field of study.
2. Source of Information: Evaluate the sources cited by the author to support their claims. Check if the sources are credible, peer-reviewed, and published in reputable journals.
3. Objectivity and Bias: Analyze the presence of biases or conflicts of interest that may influence the information’s objectivity. Look for potential funding sources or affiliations that could impact the author’s perspective.
4. Currency and Relevance: Consider the publication date of the information and whether it is up-to-date and relevant to the current understanding of CAM. Assess if newer research or evidence contradicts or supports the presented information.
5. Consistency and Corroboration: Look for consistency and corroboration of the information across multiple trustworthy sources. Compare the information with established scientific consensus or authoritative bodies in the field of CAM.
By using these five objective criteria, students can review and evaluate the reliability and credibility of a website presenting information on a chosen CAM therapy or modality. They should analyze how well the website meets each criterion and provide a detailed explanation for each assessment. If the website falls short on certain criteria, students can recommend steps the website could take to enhance its credibility. These steps could include improving transparency regarding sources, providing references, and expanding coverage of scientific evidence.
The presentation should be delivered through PowerPoint or any other suitable software, and include comprehensive speaker notes that expand upon the content of each slide. Additionally, proper reference citations following APA guidelines should be included to acknowledge the sources used in the presentation. This assignment will enable students to develop critical evaluation skills necessary for navigating the vast amount of CAM information available online.