This discussion on stasis theory should help you determine which type of claim you should write for your final assignment, or the Argument Research Project. The Argument Research Project will be introduced later in this module. Your topic is the one you wrote about in your annotated bibliography.
Imagine that you discuss an issue within your topic with someone who disagrees with your point of view. Consider at which level of the stasis theory you anticipate that you would reach stasis, or the place where the agreement stops. To do this, ask yourself the following questions
- Who is your audience? Be as specific as possible.
- Ask a question of fact about your issue. Does it exist? Is it real? Would your audience agree or disagree with your answers to these questions?
- Ask a question of definition about your issue. How would you define the issue/problem? Would your audience agree or disagree with your answer?
- Ask an evaluative question about your issue. Is it good or bad? How serious? Would your audience agree or disagree with your answer?
- Finally, ask a question of policy. What action, if any, should be taken regarding your issue/problem? What needs to happen to address it? Would your audience agree or disagree with your answers?