Speaker Critique Discussion
This discussion asks that you watch President Ronald Reagan’s speech delivered at the Brandenburg Gate from June 12, 1987. You will find his speech at this link (Links to an external site.). This is the url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDFX-dNtsM (Links to an external site.)
Listen and carefully watch the entire speech.
Answer each of the following questions on the discussion board.
- Context of speech: How long is this speech? Who is speaking? Where? When?
- What tactics from your presentation on how to begin and end a speech are used?
- Purpose of speech: Why is the speech being delivered? Who is the intended audience, do you think? Is this a persuasive speech or informative or something else?
- Briefly discuss the speaker’s voice quality. Discuss the rate (how fast or slow), emphasis, intensity, vocal distractors (uh’s, umm’s, etc.), use of pauses, etc. Is the overall quality effective? Why or why not?
- How does the speaker begin? What is used to gain attention? Tell us the quote or opening lines. Is it an effective opening?
- What are the main ideas the speaker is presenting? Briefly outline them.
- How does the speaker conclude? What is used to give a memorable ending? How does the audience respond?
- What one positive technique or skill can you take from this speaker and use in your own speeches?
- What is the most memorable two or three lines of this speech?