As the Health IT director at Trident Hospital, you are asked to
create a presentation to give to the Board of Directors on the new EHR
that was implemented. For this presentation, create a 13- to 15-slide
presentation that highlights the standards, policies, and technical
requirements of the Electronic Medical Record System (EMR). In addition,
you are to discuss the Promoting Interoperability standards and what
types of data is being collected to ensure the hospital is meeting the
Promoting Interoperability standards.
- Provide a 13- to 15-slide (excluding title slide and reference slide) PowerPoint presentation.
- Your presentation must cover the standards, policies, and technical requirements associated with an EHR implementation.
- Your presentation must also include slide(s) that discuss the
Promoting Interoperability standards and what types of data should be
collected to ensure meeting the Promoting Interoperability stages.
- Include speaker notes to support your presentation.
- Your references and citations should be consistent with a particular formatting style, such as APA.
- Provide references from at least 3 scholarly articles
(peer-reviewed). Do not include information from non-scholarly materials
such as wikis, encyclopedias, or www.freearticles.com (or similar
websites). Use the following link for additional information on how to
recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php
- Llorens-Vernet P, & Miró J. (2020) Standards for mobile health–related apps: Systematic review and development of a guide. JMIR Mhealth and Uhealth 8(3):e13057 doi: 10.2196/13057. PMID: 32130169. PMCID: 7078629. Available in the Trident Online Library.
- Kruse, C. S., Smith, B., Vanderlinden, H., & Nealand, A. (2017). Security techniques for the Electronic Health Records. Journal of Medical Systems, 41(8). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-017-0778-4
- Thompson, M.P., & Graetz, I. (2018) Hospital adoption of
interoperability functions. Healthcare, 7(3)100347. ISSN 2213-0764, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hjdsi.2018.12.001. Available in the Trident Online Library.
- Brooks, P. (2017). Midwest (MWAIS) 5-2010 Standards and
Interoperability in Healthcare Information Systems: Current Status,
Problems, and Research Issues. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a257/748b4b2f37e5dcdfefa096b6d24a554d7b2f.pdf
- Promoting Interoperability Programs Website.
Monestime, J.P., Freeman, K., & Alexandre, P.K. (2021). Provider
participation in the Florida Medicaid Promoting Interoperability
program: Practice characteristics, meaning use attestations, and
incentive payments. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 150, 104441. ISSN 1386-5056, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2021.104441. Available in the Trident Online Library.
- FDA Device Software Functions Including Mobile Medical Applications
- Mobile Health Standards and Architecture:
Expert Solution Preview
The presentation on the new Electronic Health Record (EHR) system implementation will cover the standards, policies, and technical requirements associated with the system. Additionally, it will discuss the Promoting Interoperability standards and the types of data collected to ensure compliance with these standards.
Slide 1: Title Slide
– Title: Electronic Medical Record System (EMR): Standards, Policies, and Technical Requirements
– Presenter Name: [Your Name]
– Date: [Presentation Date]
Slide 2: Introduction
– Briefly explain the importance of implementing an EHR system in healthcare organizations.
– Highlight the benefits of using an EHR system for patient care, data management, and interoperability.
Slide 3: EHR Standards
– Discuss the various standards that govern the implementation of an EHR system.
– Focus on standards such as HL7, CDA, CCD, and FHIR.
– Explain how adherence to these standards ensures data integrity, interoperability, and information exchange.
Slide 4: EHR Policies
– Outline the key policies that guide the use of EHR systems.
– Discuss policies related to data privacy, security, access control, and consent management.
– Emphasize the importance of complying with these policies to protect patient information and maintain confidentiality.
Slide 5: Technical Requirements
– Explain the technical infrastructure requirements for implementing an EHR system.
– Discuss the need for reliable network connectivity, hardware devices, and software compatibility.
– Mention the importance of system scalability, data backup, and disaster recovery plans.
Slide 6: Promoting Interoperability Standards
– Introduce the Promoting Interoperability (PI) program and its significance in healthcare.
– Discuss the criteria for achieving PI objectives, including measures related to e-Prescribing, health information exchange, public health reporting, and patient engagement.
Slide 7: Data Collection for Promoting Interoperability
– Explain the types of data that should be collected to ensure compliance with PI stages.
– Highlight the importance of capturing electronic clinical quality measures (eCQMs) and reporting them accurately.
– Mention the need for collecting data on patient access, health information exchange, and interoperability.
Slide 8: Data Security and Privacy
– Emphasize the importance of data security and privacy in the context of Promoting Interoperability.
– Discuss the security techniques and measures to protect patient data from unauthorized access, breaches, and cyber threats.
– Explain how complying with HIPAA regulations and following industry best practices ensures data confidentiality and integrity.
Slide 9: Benefits of Promoting Interoperability
– Highlight the benefits that healthcare organizations can achieve by meeting Promoting Interoperability standards.
– Discuss improved care coordination, real-time data exchange, enhanced patient engagement, and increased operational efficiency.
– Mention the financial incentives and reimbursements available for organizations that successfully meet the program’s requirements.
Slide 10: Implementation Challenges
– Acknowledge the challenges healthcare organizations may face during EHR implementation and Promoting Interoperability compliance.
– Discuss issues related to data migration, system integration, user adoption, and training.
– Provide recommendations to overcome these challenges, such as comprehensive planning, stakeholder involvement, and change management strategies.
Slide 11: Case Study
– Present a case study or real-world example of a healthcare organization successfully implementing an EHR system and meeting Promoting Interoperability standards.
– Discuss the outcomes, benefits, and lessons learned from the case study.
– Highlight any innovative approaches or best practices that can be applied in other healthcare settings.
Slide 12: Conclusion
– Summarize the key points discussed throughout the presentation.
– Reinforce the importance of EHR standards, policies, and technical requirements in achieving successful implementation and Promoting Interoperability compliance.
– Encourage further exploration and continuous improvement in the use of EHR systems to enhance patient care and healthcare outcomes.
Slide 13: References
– List the scholarly articles and other sources used for the presentation.
– Ensure the references are cited and formatted correctly according to the chosen formatting style, such as APA.
Note: Speaker notes should be included for each slide to provide detailed explanations and talking points while delivering the presentation.