Foreign Currency [WLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapters 9 and 10 of the text and review the S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Links to an external site.) website.
Write: Make sure your response addressing the following questions is more than 200 words and that you include a brief paraphrase or direct quote from the reading material where appropriate. Include proper in-text citations for each paraphrase or direct quote as shown in the UAGC Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
Many companies make annual reports available on their corporate website, often under an Investors tab. Annual reports also can be accessed through the SEC’s EDGAR system at U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Links to an external site.) (under Filings, click “Company Filings Search,” type in Company Name, and under Filing Type, search for “10-K.”).
Access the most recent annual report for a U.S.-based multinational company of your choice and respond to the following items:
- Identify the location(s) in the annual report that provides disclosures related to the translation of foreign currency financial statements and foreign currency hedging.
- Determine whether the company’s foreign operations have a predominant functional currency.
- Determine the amount of re-measurement gain or loss, if any, reported in net income in each of the three most recent years.
- Determine the amount of translation adjustment, if any, reported in other comprehensive income in each of the three most recent years. Explain the sign (positive or negative) of the translation adjustment in each of the three most recent years.
- Determine whether the company hedges net investments in foreign operations. If so, determine the type(s) of hedging instrument used.